Hairpin Exchanger Heat Exchangers
API offers various style of Hairpin Exchanger to meet each individual’s need
- Separate Closure Hairpin: Type SC
- Common Closure Hairpin: Type CC
- Separate Closure Double Pipe: Type SCDP
- All-welded Hairpin: Type AW
- Jacketed Pipe: Type JP
Advantages of Hairpin Exchanger
- Hairpin exchangers are best suited for high thermal performance and compact footprint
- Provides pure counter current flow which permits temperature crossing and close temperature approach
- Able to handle wide temperature differentials without the use of an expansion joint
- Option of removable bundle or non-removable bundle
- Hairpin design is thermally more efficient than shell and tube, resulting lower up-front cost and lower overall weight
- Enjoy a more cost effective design by employing fixed tubesheet design when bundle removal is not required
- Fixed tubesheet design available for pressure up to 10,000 psi.
- Ease of maintenance – Long radius U-Bend design.
- Removable bundle with process fluids on both shell and tube side.
Separated Closure Hairpin: Type SC
- Employs the industry’s most widely used separated head features
- Shell side and tube side closures are separately bolted through, ideal for applications involving wide temperature or pressure differences between the shell and tube side fluids
- In cyclic service, separately gasketed closures are more leak resistant compared to shell and tube designs
- Separate shell and tube side seal configuration
- This makes the tubes very easy to inspect, remove, clean and replace
Common Closure Hairpin: Type CC
- Single bolted closure design. Ideal for applications involving low design temperature or pressure differences between the shell and tube side fluids.
- Enjoys the maintenance advantages of a Separated Closure Hairpin (Type SC).
- The center ring keeps the shell gasket seated during the removal of the tube head for inspection or service.
Separate Closure Double Pipe: Type SCDP
- Well suited for large imbalance of flow on shellside
- Separate shell and tube side seal configuration. This makes the tubes very easy to inspect, remove, clean and replace
- Long fins are used to achieve high thermal performance with minimal pressure drop
All-Welded Hairpin: Type AW
- More cost effective design when removable bundle is not required
- Fixed tubesheet design
Jacketed Pipe: Type JP
- Most economical solution for any heat transfer application
- Fixed tubesheet design